PHOTOGRAPHY TRIP TO MOUNT GALUNGGUNG

Sunday 12 June 2016

PHOTOGRAPHY TRIP TO MOUNT GALUNGGUNG


Having a three-days holiday means that I have to do some photography trip. There are some places in West Java that I really wish to visit. So, with strong determination I planned my trip with the following schedule;

Day 1 : Get sunrise in Argapura terrace ,and visit Curug Puteri (Puteri Waterfall),
Day 2 : Visit Galunggung Mountain, and Curug Dengdeng,
Day 3 : Visit Telagabodas crater, and getting back home.

On May 5th, I got my bike and started my trip. Unfortunately, due to traffic (caused by holiday season), Rainy weather, and other technical issues, the only place I could visit was Galunggung Mountain. It was so unfortunate that I could not manage to fulfill the plan, but hey, at least I tried and it was not a complete failure anyway :D

Traffic during holiday
Galunggung mountain is perhaps one of the most beautiful mountain in West Java. In ancient times,
the mountain erupted, leaving a huge (it is Indeed very huge) crater in the center of it, and over time, parts of the crater were filled with water, making it looked like a lake. Galunggung Mountain is not an “actual” mountain, meaning that we don’t have to climb all the way to the summit, instead we just have to hike the 600 steps (or so) of stairs. Well yes, 600 steps doesn’t look like a problem at all, but in reality, it is very leg-breaking. The most saddest part when hiking this stair is the condition of the stair itself. Well, I’m not saying that it is unfafe to hike, but some of the handrail are in a very bad condition, some of them are even lost ! Moreover, there are so many sketches (handwriting, gravity) along the stair done by “un-educated” visitors. I think that’s the problem with this country, as there are too many irresponsible people living here.   

After we hike the stair, we will arrive in the peak of the mountain with a huge crater in front of us. Most people usually enjoy the scenery (and taking photograph) from up here. However, we can go further down to the crater by walking down the sandy trail which is located on the other side of our beloved 600-hundreds-steps stair. That’s right where I was planning to go as it was definitely no way for me to get photograph from up there with tons of people lurking around taking photograph with their cellphones.

The 600 steps stair 


View of Galunggung crater from atop the mountain
And so my journey begins… I walked for a few hundred metres to get to the other side of the crowd and arrived at the aforementioned trail, The trail, which led to the crater, was not too steep.However, you have to be extra careful when hiking down this trail in rainy season, because it makes some of it slippery. Halfway to the crater, the structure of the trail was spontaneously changed, from muddy soil to a complete black sand ! Yeah right, I’d have to walk my way to the crater by walking this sand. It felt kinda awkward when I step my feet and then they just getting “swallowed” by sand. We can actually safely sliding down this sand trail for fun :D
Around 15 minutes, I arrived in the crater of the mountain. Being in the there felt like I was stranded in another world. It was the complete opposite from up there, the was hardly no one but me (there were couple of people fishing in the lake). It was so quite down there, making it easir for me to scout the area and find a composition. If only other tourism objects would doesn’t have any crowd just like down there…

The first thing I noticed was the water stream running down from up the mountain. I quickly set up my gear and get the image. The result was not so bad, as the dark cloud above the mountain gave the image a dramatic atmosphere.


However, I was disappointed by the fact that there were so many litters down here. Whenever I walked, I always found a litter or two which is very sad L. I heard that this area was used by some people as a camping ground, maybe that’s where all this litter came from. To those of you reading this, wherever you go and whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT leave anything instead of your footprints !

After spending some time, I decided to shot the lake in the crater. The greenish water, which is caused by algae, made it looked like an alien world. I decided to take few images of the lake with a different composition. Still, I found it hard to get the right composition due to unevitable presence of the litters.






I decided to end my time in the crater because some people were coming down to set a camp. I walked the other trail which led me back up to the “Hell stair”. This trail consisted of muddy soil and stones which is kinda slippery, so I had to be very careful when hiking up. Upon arriving at the stair, the crowd was increased (luckily, I was done with my photography :D), then I decided to leave the place.



Watch the video below to see how I made it, more vlogs to come :) 


0 comments :

Post a Comment